Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Library Police

Years ago, I was commissioned by the Historical Society of a certain California coastal city, sponsored through a 'Friends of the Library Grant', to tell Children's Story's at various venues, school's, parks, libraries. I was deeply into 'wood carving' and other art at the time. A popular national magazine, had learned of my artistry, and published a piece about my life and work. 

A local librarian, the influential wife of a Historical Society member, gushed over me and asked, would I take time out to tell 'stories'. Sure...why ever not? Plus, I got paid for each outing.Thus, my days as a 'storyteller' began. With children, you have to keep it interesting...so, I would bring my carvings as devices, to spin me off into tales from books, research and life experience. 

For the most part, this was a great success with the children, and with their parents...who often attended these telling's. It got so popular, the woman and her Society husband, commissioned me to carve pieces for them, which I did. It was modestly lucrative. Lots of 'gushing' still going on. 

Then, one sunny Saturday morning at a beautiful Oak filled park, in a city inland...a crowd gathered...two hundred, perhaps three hundred people in attendance. Many many happy faced children. I began to speak, telling my usual stories, from a repertoire of several dozen. But it was just the day, the buzzing bees, the huge lovely overhanging White Oaks, the green grass...the moment. 

I began to recite research upon a subject, near my heart...Druid's. The kids 'loved' it. What could be more romantic, more charming, and more magical, than tales of Druid's and wizard's and witch's? I used research accounts from Welsh, Scottish, and Irish sources, all published and scholar edified, gleanings. It was fun. It was interesting and I could have shared all day. 

Alas, the party broke up and people drifted off. I packed up my kit and went home. A week later, I was called(upon the carpet), more like summarily, summoned...to appear before the librarian, who had commissioned me to tell my stories. Oh, by the way, she never provided me instructive rules to follow, 'just tell the tales'. 

The air, in the library was, veritably, chilled...between us. I could see my breath , and she attacked! "What have you TOLD them...WHAT have you SAID!! I defended myself, to the best of my ability. But the long and short of it is, 'the witch of the dribble' took back my commission, and fired me...screaming all the way! I remember, I said something like, "It's ALL in books, every last word, edified by scholars". She screamed..."YOU READ THE WRONG BOOKS!" 

Ok. That was it. My dream of entertaining children, and educating people to the magic of veiled realities was at an end. My imagination, thereupon, shriveled, like two raisins on a stick, and I went off to sulk. It is a sad fact, in America, land of the free, home of the brave...where free speech is protected by a Constitution, a Bill of Rights...that one can still be 'burned at the stake'. 

Make no mistake. In our Judaeo Christian culture, tolerance is a very 'iffy' quantity, and if you dare to publish or preach the 'hidden side' of things, your well secured 'freedoms' and 'transparency' of education, can evaporate...in a heartbeat. 

I am living proof, that there are 'Library Police', monitoring everything we do and say. Scholars are put in place to 'hold the line' on what is revealed, not to expand illumination or education.


Written by Bruce James Clyde 2016, at Deming, New Mexico

Art: By Rudolf Ritter von Alt, 1877, A Library


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly