Monday, December 26, 2016

Isn't It Ironic

My mom despised , my dads 'happy bird songs'. But, dad was irrepressible...and he would 'belt them out!', to the joy of us kids, melting even, that little chunk of coal, in moms heart.

'The Red Red Robin' was one of his favorites, and one about a 'blackbird'. Mom could heal the sick, and 'raise the dead', but she had something 'political', against 'innocuous laughter', and 'happiness at large'.

To her, dads, 'fun loving', freedom of expression, was 'a loose canon', and grim reminder...of an innocence lost. I loved them both. There were some great 'bottle throwing' fights at our house. A few times, a cast iron frying pan, got in the act.

None the less, these were 'post world war', 'pre politically correct' times, and enlivened as only Scottish and Welsh 'bullheads, can enliven them! "The proof is in the pudding". One time, after an all day drunk...the forgotten pressure cooker, 'went off', and the 'doo-hickey', that prevents pressure buildup...ended in a bowl of pudding!

That sort of 'was', my family's 'mission statement'...in those times. Then,one stopped drinking. The other started hiding it. Eventually, they got through all of that. It was an object lesson for me. I never picked up the habit. I owed that to them.

Dad used to insist, "You must drink uesky, to survive". I admit, 'the flesh may', as pickled as it is...on that stuff. It gives a whole new connotation, to 'keeping a stiff upper lip'. It's like 'formaldehyde' for the living. 'Water of life', indeed, but not really. I'll seek elsewhere!

I always ask, 'where's the pub?', but, I'm the straight guy, in the corner sipping coffee...'designated driver', Mr. Sober sides. It goes unappreciated, till they need a hearse, and some 'Clydesdales' to pull it! Then, it's not about them. It's about 'putting the fun, back in funeral!'

State of the art...state of the world!


Written by Bruce James Clyde 2016, at Deming, New Mexico

Art: majestic Clydesdales, pulling the red wagon, Hallamore 2003


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly